Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Quality Christian fiction...?

I paid a visit to Koorong today, and as I looked at the fiction part of the store, I was reminded of the blog discussion of only a few posts ago. The one about the lack of quality Christian fiction. I don't know where you can find quality Christian fiction but it doesn't seem to be at Koorong. There are some excellent books at Koorong, about theology and general Christian living, but the fiction books there all seem to be lightweight romance. The kind of books that have a warm and fuzzy message but are generally superficial or have underdeveloped characters or are just badly written. I'm all for romantic subplots in books, but romantic fiction generally doesn't interest me, particularly if it is poorly written. I'm not sure its edifying to be presenting so much romantic literature anyway. Then again, I haven't read any of these books so I can't really say much about them. Maybe some of them are okay. But I'm looking for books that will challenge and interest me, both spiritually and intellectually. There has to be some good Christian fiction out there somewhere, right?

1 comment:

Ascasewwen said...

Outside of CS Lewis, I seriously doubt that there is.

And don't get me started on romance novels!